Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Internal Thoughts



Philippians 4:8 “And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter. Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” NLT

I’ll never lose this weight. I just wasn’t meant to be thin. It’s genetic, and there’s nothing I can do about it. I’m just not good enough. If I had more faith, this would be a breeze. I’m just a failure, and that’s all there is to it. Who am I kidding? People will just think I’m trying to be something I’m not.

All of these thoughts ran through my head on a daily basis. If I’m honest, I’ll admit that they still run through my head from time to time. I heard a pastor say one time, “God convicts; Satan condemns.” That quote has changed my entire thinking process when it comes to myself. The bad thoughts that come to mind when I’m feeling down are only whispered to me by Satan, but I choose whether or not to believe them.

See, Satan is the author of lies. Therefore, whatever he says to us, we can be sure, is a lie. Jesus, however, speaks truth, life, love. How do we know the difference? When Jesus speaks critically in our lives, it’s out of love and always offers a solution and an offer of forgiveness. When Satan speaks critically in our lives, the message is always ultimate failure and leads to depression and even death.

In this chapter of Philippians, Paul is closing his letter but offers them this encouragement. He says that if they give up worrying, pray about all things, they will experience true peace. Therefore, he says, to think about things that are good. 

Our thought process drastically affect us. I believe that the trail of my thoughts affects how I make decisions, how I treat others, and ultimately, my relationship with Him. If I’m not careful, my joy is stolen, my peace is gone, and I’m filled with anxiety. But Jesus offers peace, contentment, and fulfillment. How I longed for a life with those things...in every area of my life. He brings them all! And He wants you to see yourself just as He sees you, with love.

When it comes to my physical fitness, I’m still a little awkward. I don’t have as much coordination as others do, I can easily get embarrassed and frustrated. But I have to keep my focus on the purpose of my exercise. And I have to keep my focus on being as healthy as I can possibly be so that I can serve Him longer.

What are your internal thoughts about yourself? Do you see yourself as God sees you? Read the entire chapter of Philippians and remember what encouragement that Christ gives us.

Encouragement for Today
Titus 3:10 “If anyone is causing divisions among you, give a first and a second warning. After that, have nothing more to do with that person.” NLT

2 Corinthians 10:5 “With these weapons we break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God. With these weapons we conquer their rebellious ideas, and we teach them to obey Christ.” NLT

1 comment:

  1. I think you've accomplished so much since you started this journey! I'm amazed at how far you've come and how disciplined you've been. I absolutely believe in squelch in the negative thoughts and talk! I definitely believe that it can be detrimental to our success. I really loved your new Pinterest board and hope you didn't mind that I mad one too, pinned nearly everything on it to my own. You've been such a great inspiration. And full of such good advice. Bet you never thought you'd be motivating OTHER people to get fit too! God just multiplied what He gave you! ;)

    ReplyDelete