Saturday, March 21, 2015

How Having a Healthy Lifestyle Affected My Relationships




Galatians 1:10 “For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.” NASB

I squirmed nervously in the car seat on the drive that morning. I had lost 45 pounds, and it was the first time this group of people would see me since my transformation began. Lots of congratulatory remarks were sure to be showered on me, but I knew there was one person at least who would take a chance to jab at me. We hadn’t always spoken to each other in that manner, but as I grew as a person, it seemed that our relationship took a nosedive. Sure enough, as soon as I arrived, my physical inspection began. I’m not kidding. We were here to celebrate Christmas, and the last thing I wanted was for our festivities to be centered around my weight-loss. She asked me what size I was in, and noted that certain body parts had “disappeared.” Maybe she thought it was funny and she was happy for me, but it didn’t feel that way to me. It was embarrassing, frustrating, and hurtful. Not quite sure how I should respond, I just smiled and didn’t say anything. In fact, I didn’t say anything for months. 

Then a few months later, almost the same scenario happened twice more, and again, I didn’t know how to respond. It seems as though no conversation can be had anymore without that subject being brought up. I just wish things would go back to normal, and she would see me as a normal person. I want a good relationship again, but I’m not sure how that can happen. I do have sneaking suspicions about why things are the way they are, but I’m not sure how to handle them. On some occasions, it seems as though some friends/family have been downright angry at me for changing things. Parties, family get-togethers, and holiday celebrations have changed due to my lifestyle change, and it’s made some people uncomfortable. I had no idea that my food choices would create such chaos for others, but the truth is, they do. My motives are certainly never to make anyone feel bad about themselves but to change my own life. At the end of the day, though, I have to be true to the commitment I’ve made to live a healthy lifestyle.

I’ve often thought of Paul’s verse here throughout my weight loss journey. The church in Galatia has turned away from the Gospel Paul preached and are back to looking to the law to be saved. He’s shocked that they’ve fallen away so quickly. Paul's opponents had criticized him heavily and questioned his authority as an apostle, and he quickly gets to the chase that he serves Christ, not man. 

Be clear that serving Christ will displease many people. In fact, sometimes it seems as though you stand alone. It reminds me of the song, “Though none go with me, still I will follow...” The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you will stand alone. Is He worth it? 

Oh, He is worth it. If no one approves of my decision to follow Christ, it will hurt, and at times it will seem lonely, but He is worth it! There will be hurtful times, but there will be joyful times. The times of loneliness will only be overshadowed by His abiding presence and love.

When we change our lifestyles, sometimes people may get upset, but we have to remember why. What we do affects others, positively or negatively. We can gently encourage others by showing them the joy that serving Jesus brings as well as the perks of living a healthy life. 

When relationships change, rest assured that Jesus doesn’t. Our relationship with Him extends far beyond social gatherings and parties, as He walks with us every day.

Encouragement for Today
Ephesians 6:12 “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the rules, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment