Monday, March 9, 2015

Dining Out




Proverbs 23:1-3 “While dining with a ruler, pay attention to what is put before you. If you are a big eater, put a knife to your throat.; don’t desire all the delicacies, for he might be trying to trick you.” NLT

After a few weeks of healthy living, the point came where my family was going to have to go out to eat. I had avoided this at all costs so far, because the thought of not being able to totally control my food selection was scary to me. And what was more, I wasn’t even able to control where we were going. My good friend’s birthday was today, and she had invited our family to her party at a local steakhouse. I thought to myself, well, they have salads...I can just order a salad. So to the steakhouse we went. The only problem..they didn’t have any meal salads...only small side ones. I ended up eating a bowl of lettuce and tomatoes with no dressing because there was no fat-free ranch! I felt like everyone was staring at me, thinking I had taken this whole weight loss thing to the extreme. I was certain they were planning my intervention right then and there. After we got home, I was able to eat a little more, meeting my nutritional needs of the day. But I was frustrated and wondered if my family would ever be able to eat out ever again. If I had just spent time doing a little research, I could’ve avoided the problem and had a much better time.

Our wise proverb today speaks of dining in unfamiliar territory. While this Scripture probably is referring to a young man’s manners and test of self-control, this truth still applies when trying to live a healthy life. We must pay attention to what is served to us. We are not always going to be able to control the things that we eat, especially in today’s society. Just because something “looks” healthy, doesn’t mean it is. Condiments, sauces, and oils hide tons of calories/fat that we would otherwise not even notice. Birthday parties, family celebrations, holidays, church potlucks, and work luncheons serve to put a dent in our well-planned food choices. But we can still be faithful to eating healthy, even in all of those situations. 

The main thing that helps me stay on track is paying attention to restaurants’ nutritional information. More and more restaurants are posting their calories/fat/protein calculations on their menus/menu boards. Also, more restaurants realize that more people have dietary restrictions, therefore, they are attempting to meet the demand by adding more healthy options. My best advice, to be totally prepared is to try to view the entire nutritional information online before you even go to the restaurant. Have your order in mind before you go, so as to better fight temptation once you arrive and the aroma hits.  

Secondly, don’t be afraid to ask for substitutions. I am a people-pleaser, and I hate to inconvenience people. I hate to ask servers to specialize my meal, and I hate even worse, sending an order back. But I’ve learned to do it. Substituting that baked potato for grilled vegetables, or simply taking the processed cheese off of my chicken tacos has saved a TON of calories, simply by asking. Restaurants customize meals all the time...why not do it for you too?

Thirdly, my family avoids fast-food altogether...unless it’s Taco Bueno or Chick-fil-A. Fast food typically is calorie/fat laden, and the sodium content is out of the roof! Taco Bueno and Chick-Fil-A have healthy options that our whole family enjoys, and they don’t break the bank!

The best advice I can give someone is to simply eat at home. It’s cheaper, it’s honestly faster, and you know exactly what you are putting in your body. When you find yourself in a situation where you have to dine out, put some time in first doing a little research. It will pay off!

Encouragement for Today 

Proverbs 17:1 “Better a dry crust eaten in peace than a house filled with feasting--and conflict.” NLT

1 Corinthians 8:8 “It’s true that we can’t win God’s approval by what we eat. We don’t lose anything if we don’t eat it, and we don’t gain anything if we do.” NLT

3 comments:

  1. I've tried to comment twice, but the internet keeps eating it! I faced this situation for the first time this weekend - eating out - and I was so nervous. I researched and made a healthy choice that I was happy with (and happy that I stuck with!) But I've got a ladies gathering later this month hosted by a lady from our church. She's providing the meal, but I have no idea what it is and what I should "budget" for. I'm already worried about it, but I figure I will just have a good workout beforehand, and eat whatever seems like a reasonable portion (depending on what it is!) and have a healthy snack waiting at home in case that portion needs to be tiny!
    On a good note - this morning I weighed in at 5 lbs down since I started! YAY! I'm half way to my first 10 lb goal that I want to reach by the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job! I'm so happy for you!

      Is the gathering you're going to a lunch thing? Hopefully so, and then you can adjust as needed for the night meal. If not, then take it easy during the day and you'll be fine!

      Delete
  2. No, it's an evening thing -- a "girl's night" kind of thing. I'll be praying it's something at least vaguely healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete