Sunday, April 26, 2015

Breathing


John 20:21-22 “He spoke to them again, and said, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.’ then he breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, they are forgiven. If you refuse to forgive them, they are unforgiven.” NLT

Acts 2:2 “Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm in the skies above them, and it filled the house where they were meeting. Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them. And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.” NLT

Genesis 2:7 “Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man’s nostrils, and the man became a living person.” NLT

I’ve always had a tendency to hold my breath. Whether I’m waiting on something exciting to happen or I’m moving heavy furniture, for some unknown reason, It’s a natural instinct for me to hold my breath. But anyone who exercises regularly knows the importance of breathing deeply.

When I first started cycling, I realized quickly that if I simply focused on my breathing that I would be rejuvenated and energized. When I start to feel fatigued while running and lifting weights, if I remember to even out my breathing, I can keep going. It’s always amazing to me how much more physical activity I can perform if I’m simply focused on breathing. I can do things better, longer, and perform at a deeper level when my oxygen level is just right.

When God formed Adam, the Scripture says he took the dust of the ground and formed man with His very own hand. And then, God breathed into Adam the breath of life. I’ve always had sort of a CPR position pictured in my head, but nevertheless, it is only then that Adam comes to life. It is only when God’s air, His very breath runs through Adam that he begins to live. 

In pretty much every single instance in Scripture, both the Old and New Testaments, every time the word breath or Spirit is used, we can trace them back to the same Greek and Hebrew original words. It’s as if the word “breath” and “Spirit” are interchangeable. Think about the instances of the Holy Spirit coming in John 20 and Acts 2. In John 20, we read that He breathed on them the Holy Spirit, and then in Acts 2, the Holy Spirit came like a mighty rushing wind. 

Our very lives come from God. We know this in the physical sense, and also in the spiritual sense, but have you stopped to consider that the very air we breathe is spiritual in nature? What this means for us is that our physical breath is but a symbol of our real lives in Christ. Every time we breathe in, and breathe out, we should be reminded of the Holy Spirit’s work in and through us. He’s here.

I never really started living until I met Jesus. It’s a well known fact that the human body can only go around 40 days without food, 3-4 days without water, but only 3-4 minutes without breathing. Why do you think God designed us that way? It is but a reminder that we cannot go through life without God working through us.

The other fact I want to point out is that only when the disciples received the Holy Spirit did their ministries really take off. Jesus tells them in John 20 that they are being sent out to preach the Gospel, and then in Acts 2, the same is true. When they begin to minister by the Holy Spirit, they can do more for the Kingdom of God than they ever thought possible. Thousands were saved, and we are here too because of their obedience and commitment to serve Him.

When we are filled with and led by the Spirit, we are empowered to serve Him in a supernatural way. He can work through us to accomplish His mission, works that are greater than we could ever dream of.

In our physical sense, when just simply breathe, we can go further and be stronger than we ever thought possible. God is up to something; we must simply breathe.

What’s God trying to do in and through your life? In what ways can you allow Him to work through you? Take a deep breath and listen to what He has to say to you today.

Encouragement for Today
Acts 2:41 “Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day--about 3000 in all.” NLT

Job 34:14-15 “If God were to take back his spirit and withdraw his breath, all life would cease, and humanity would turn again to dust.” NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment