Thursday, April 9, 2015

Beauty




Song of Solomon 4:7 “You are altogether beautiful, my darling, beautiful in every way.” NLT

My parents always told me I was beautiful. My daddy especially made it a point to build my sister and me up in every way so that as we grew older, we had confidence. But as I grew, kids were mean. As mentioned before, I have a birth defect that affects my eye alignment. It’s unnoticeable to some, but to others, it’s glaring. At every chance, kids would point it out, and sometimes, even adults. As I journeyed on in life and grew obese, I felt ugly and unsightly. Despite my best attempts at hairstyles, makeup application, and nice clothing, I still felt ugly. My husband tried his best too to make me feel loved and commented regularly that I was beautiful. Still, I didn’t feel it. I struggled too with the thought that there are so many bible verses that speak of a woman’s outward beauty as something that wasn’t necessary. I knew that soul beauty was more important, but I still struggled with the desire to like what I saw in the mirror. All I needed was to lose weight, I thought. 

Song of Solomon is a book about the love Christ has for His bride. Much debate has been discussed through the years as to whether this is really about King Solomon or Christ Himself. I happen to believe that it’s both. While the story is true for Solomon, it’s applicable to how much Christ loves us, his beautiful bride, and in turn, how much we should desire relationship and intimacy with Him. If you’ve never read through Song of Solomon, buckle your seatbelt for some interesting reading. It’s much unlike any other book in the Bible. In it, the man consistently tells the woman how much he loves her and how much he adores her. She is beautiful to him, and despite her insecurities, he insists that he loves her and finds those flaws beautiful still.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the desire for outward beauty for women is there. But like the Apostles Paul and Peter and the author of several proverbs, I agree that our truest desire should be that we are beautiful for our Bridegroom, Christ Jesus Himself. No other person’s opinion matters. We as women struggle with this desire to be beautiful, but yet Christ Himself sees who we really are. Without our makeup, on bad hair days, and even when we feel gross and ugly to the outside world, He still sees what’s on the inside. With that said, though, we can be beautiful on the outside, yet have hideous souls on the inside.

It was only when I began my healthy lifestyle change that I began to feel beautiful. Some reading this may say that it’s because I was losing weight. Sure, my self-confidence was boosted a little as I grew stronger, but the truest transformation was when I gave total surrender to every aspect of my life totally over to Him, my Bridegroom. 

There are those within the Christian realm that believe that women shouldn’t care at all about their appearance. However, I believe that the Bible contains several instances where husbands take note of their wives’ beauty as well as other instances where a woman’s beauty is mentioned. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in our appearances if it’s done with the right motive. Whom are we striving to please? Remember also, though, that with age, beauty fades. It’s a natural course in the circle of life. 

When you look in the mirror, what do you see? What do you feel that others think about you? Who’s opinion matters most?

Let me tell you today that no matter who you are, YOU are beautiful. No matter how you may feel or what others may have told you, YOU were created in the image of God with a plan and purpose for life. Living in the way that God has designed you is nothing less than perfect.

Take some time today to soak in the verses listed in the “Encouragement” section. They are transformational and breathe beauty into our souls.

Encouragement for Today

1 Peter 3:3-4 “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” NLT

Proverbs 31:30 “Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.” NLT

Ecclesiastes 3:11a “Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time.”  NLT

Psalm 139:14 “Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous--how well I know it.” NLT





Further Reading: Genesis 12:11; Song of Solomon 1:5; Esther 2:7; Song of Solomon 4:1; Genesis 29:17; 

3 comments:

  1. I struggled in my teen years because other girls were so mean. My family always tried to boost me up, but I always felt inferior to my mom and my grandmother who were gorgeous to me. I felt like the "ugly duckling" on that side of my family. No one compared me to my mom. They said I looked like my dad's sister. I wasn't happy with that. I wanted to look like my MOM. I was very insecure about my looks when I was younger. The older I've become, the less concerned about it I have been. Do I still want to look nice? Yes. Do I still want my husband to think I'm attractive? Of course. But my looks are not the be all and end all of who I am. Where teen girls and boys are so judgmental of appearances, I've come to realize that I am more worried about it than anyone else is. Due to what I went through as a young girl, I worry about whether I fit in or if people really like me or just put up with me (because as adults we have learned better manners - well most of us!). I realize that I'm guilty of judging others based on looks as well and it's also due to my experiences in school. For example, if someone that I think is just beyond beautiful and looks very high maintenance turns out to be a sweet and kind person - I'm still surprised by that. As if a woman like that is automatically going to look down her nose at me.
    I feel like I've rambled, and maybe gone off subject a little. But I agree with what you've written. True beauty comes from within. It doesn't matter how beautiful a person's outside is if their heart is ugly. As my grandmother always said - beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone! I didn't get that saying when I was a little girl, but I sure grew to understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, there's a second line to that saying of your grandmother's

      Beauty's only skin deep, but ugly's to the bone
      Beauty fades away, but ugly holds its own!

      Delete
    2. I never heard that part of it! ☺

      Delete