Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Following

Following God is a troublesome and confusing thing to me. I know most Christians don't like to admit it, but how do we really "follow" God? I'm always concerned that when I take a new step that it's actually God I'm following. How do I know what His plan is for me? How can I be sure?

Whenever life brings change, (and it's always come very often for me) I constantly question, "Is this of You, God?"

Already this morning, I've already asked the question, and I've gotten an answer that I've gotten MANY times before. The only way to know if I'm following God is to know Him so well that I know His heart for me. I've lived on this earth for 32 years, and I've followed God for 25 of those. I've already figured out that God's plan for me isn't to be rich, famous, exotic, fancy, or eloquent. I do know that God's plan for me though, includes me serving Him in ministry...but that's where the confusion lies.  Where? How? When? In what capacity?

For people all over the world, hearing and listening to the voice of God means many different things, according to the individual person. For me, it's always been a strong impression upon my heart, resulting in a burden for a specific task. Usually, most of the time, I'll hear songs, sermons, and quotes that surround the same subject, as if God is sending me every possible message He can possibly send me.

I'm struggling right now to figure out what God's next step is for me in lay ministry. I don't know what it is yet, but I can tell you that a burden is forming. This is where the searching of God's heart comes in. I must know Him so well, and know His heart for me so well, that I understand fully where He's leading me.

This morning, I'm reminded of an old song we used to sing in college

Change my heart, O God
Make it ever true
Change my heart, O God
May I be like You.
You are the Potter, I am the clay
Mold me and make me
This is what I pray
Change my heart, O God
Make it ever true
Change my heart, O God
May I be like You.

1 comment:

  1. I like this. It's definitely something I know we probably ALL ask ourselves, but one I know that I personally struggle with. I'm working on the "knowing Him better" part. So, that is a very helpful answer to that question.
    (And I disagree with your statement that you aren't eloquent!)

    ReplyDelete