Friday, March 12, 2010

A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld the national motto "In God We Trust." Thursday, the decision was made to keep this motto on currency and coins.

Apparently this guy, Michael Nedow, is an athiest and claimed that the references to God in the pledge of Allegiance "disrespected his religious beliefs." The court rejected his claim and said this:"The Pledge is constitutional.. The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

Now here's my question. In 2002, the same court ruled in favor of Nedow after he sued his daughter's school for having her recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

I remember vividly when I was a child and everyone was forced to recite the plegde. There were at times, students in my class that didn't want to do it for various reasons, mostly because they were just being lazy. But no one ever claimed that they didn't want to recite it because they didn't believe in God.

Here was Nedow's response to Thursday's ruling: "Oh man. What a bummer."

He sounds totally bummed, dude...

At any rate, I'm glad to hear the court's decision. It was a surprise coming from California, after all.

Several years ago, I suffered from a rare blood disorder that drained Heath and I financially. I worried constantly and felt guilty about all the money my treatment was costing. One day on a drive home from the doctor, we stopped at a Wal-Mart to pick up a few needed items. As I was walking out the door, I noticed a lot of coins just strewn around the parking lot. I picked up a penny and just looked at it--really looked at it for the first time. Imprinted were the words: In God We Trust. The thought came to me that it wasn't in that money that we trusted. We don't trust in our bank accounts. We don't trust even in our own abilities to earn money. We trust in God. In Him alone are the answers for which we seek. He alone can provide. And He alone will provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment