Saturday, November 3, 2012

Protection

A year ago today could've been very different. I posted last year about the dog attacks. So many times since that day, I've recounted the events of to other people, always being very careful to give God glory for His protection. In almost every testimony of that day, people have responded, "You were so lucky. Things could've turned out so different." This is true. I still can't believe that I was able to stand up the whole time I had two dogs hanging from my arms, trying desperately to tear me down. Thank God! I was standing the whole time. I shudder to think and have often had nightmares about what could've happened if I had fallen. Thank God! My children stayed in the car the whole time! I shudder to think and have had nightmares about what could've happened if they had gotten out. Thank God! My pregnant friend was not harmed during the whole ordeal. I shudder to think and have had nightmares about what could've happened if they had decided to turn on her. Thank God! Heath was with me and was able to take me to the emergency room. I shudder to think about how I would've gotten there if I had to drive myself. Thank God! I prayed during the attacks that they would somehow just let go....and they did! Thank God! For sweet friends and parishioners who prayed for me, and for my friend who owned the dogs. They exhibited Christ-like love, forgiveness, and acceptance to her, a babe in Christ.

I've often wondered about the concept of God's protection. I know it's real. Countless times, I've seen it. There's no doubt in my mind that God protects us more times than we can even imagine. But I have wondered...what does it look like? Are there always angels? The Psalmist writes in the 91st Psalm, "He will give His angels charge over thee to guard you in all your ways." I mean, does the angel always cover us from harm? Or does God Himself provide a shelter of protection. One of my favorite Scripture songs comes from Proverbs 18:10 says, "The Name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and they are safe." My wonderings don't really matter. The very fact that God protected me and gave me the assurance of His presence is enough! His grace is sufficient for me, and continues to be overflowing in my life.

I admit that today, I got lost in my thoughts about the events of one year ago today. It was overwhelming, and I was tempted to relive bad memories. I couldn't help though but be thankful for ALL that God has done for me. He protected, and He provided. I praise His Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment